canberrabirds

Gang-gangs in Hughes

To: "Mark Clayton" <>, "'John Leonard'" <>
Subject: Gang-gangs in Hughes
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 18:00:52 +1000
Hi Mark.

Sure, your comments are totally valid. It was a sweeping statement of mine and it deserves to be pointed out as such. However it is based on real data, albeit localised and "not real world" as the GBS may be, though I still think it is real world. Being based on data from many people on a fairly consistent system still has some advantages. Most of the other things, like that such as "I see and hear a lot less of the birds now than I did ten, twenty and more years ago" are based on impressions on one or a small number of people, even very good and active observers like yourself and as such I think it doesn't quite fill the requirement of strong evidence. Especially given that it is easy to remember from many years ago, those few times when one was excited about lots of birds and forget the other times.

For what it is worth the GGC also appears to be going well around Melbourne.