canberrabirds

Gang-gangs in Hughes

To: "'Philip Veerman'" <>, "'John Leonard'" <>
Subject: Gang-gangs in Hughes
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:41:33 +1000

Philip,

To say that the GBS data shows that the Gang-gang Cockatoo is doing fine is a very sweeping statement indeed. How does the GBS compare with the birds frequenting the local ranges, their more “normal” range, and why has the species been listed in NSW as a Vulnerable species? I see and hear a lot less of the birds now than I did ten, twenty and more years ago. Like a lot of birds they are declining. Canberra may well be the last stronghold of the species (although I doubt it). It’s a bit like seeing the population of Regent Honeyeaters in the Capertee Valley, which at times can be quite large, and thinking that the species is secure. Nothing could be further from the truth. What may, or may not, be happening in local gardens is not really indicative of the real world.

Mark