canberrabirds

White-fronted Honeyeater is still here & query re COG data sheets

To: <>
Subject: White-fronted Honeyeater is still here & query re COG data sheets
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 11:17:52 +1000
Hi All,

Am I getting boring? This morning I went out to check on the White-fronted Honeyeater. It appeared within 30 seconds. I watched it for a minute and as it was feeding in the Grevillea, I went inside to get my video but on return a minute later I couldn't see it again for about three minutes, so I have come back inside. It is worth mentioning that through all this time, the only other honeyeaters feeding in that shrub (or indeed within view) have been one Red Wattlebird and one Eastern Spinebill (and once a flock of about ten Silvereyes). That makes observing easy but also the low competition presumably ensures an adequate food source. I have now cumulatively watched the bird for several hours. The other thing is that although I have seen it leave in most directions (never to the west), I have only ever seen it arrive from the east (along Hiles Place) and usually from the same tree. There must be another source of food somewhere there and it is doing a "circuit". In the minute I watched it today it did not call and looked very active and sleek again.

Being still here today (apart from it being now six days) means that it will now go on two GBS weeks, rather than just one. Funny though, the COG data sheets don't allow for a record to cover more than one day. If this bird wasn't a GBS obs, would I need to do one new data sheet for every day? What if it is still here after five weeks? That would be boring data entry.