canberrabirds

An unusual bird?

To: "'canberrabirds- chatline'" <>
Subject: An unusual bird?
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 13:09:09 +1000

I think this arises out of conversations I have been having with Julian about the FSP birds and the matter of ID-ing LE plumage variations generally.

You will recall Julian’s message about a ‘different-plumaged’ second bird with the light-morph.  Subsequently we exchanged messages about what bird was what and later watched 2 birds at the site, discussing what they were in terms of age, sex, morph etc.  Julian sent me a pic of the second bird, and I suggested the possibility it might be a juvenile from his behaviour description, and given the underbody illustrations of the ‘juvenile, light morph’ in Hanzab/Debus.  [I might mention that in my copies the same ID illustrations are printed as paler overall in the Debus guide than they appear in the Hanzab originals.]  This would have raised an interesting question about where the juv came from.  I suggested to Julian that we needed an underwing shot of the second bird, and I take it that the second bird below is ‘it’.

Now, let’s back-track to last year.  Others might have different views but I had thought that the ‘pair’ at FSP consisted of a light morph (male)and a somewhat darker (female) bird.  I had assumed that a reported dark morph from around Mount Ainslie/Campbell Park was from a different pair (or even in some reports a Whistling Kite).  Due to a computer misfortune I do not have pics of it from last Spring, but this bird shot earlier this year is probably it.  (There is an old video-frame of mine of the dark morph female from E O’Malley in the photogallery.)

LE cJ_0765.jpg

  Now, as to differences between morphs, the ‘dark’ and ‘light’ dichotomy seems to be firmly established.  However Hanzab/Debus picture a ‘dark morph’ and ‘dark morph, darkest birds’, and Hanzab states ‘plumage varies considerably within morphs’, that females ‘tend to be darker  and more heavily streaked on underbody’, and that juveniles are ‘separable’ ie different.   Apart from general darkness, a main difference between the two morphs is that underwing the diagnostic pale ‘M’ is said to occur only in the light morph, hence my request to Julian for an  underwing shot.  Julian’s below pics clearly show the M in the light morph.  The second pic is a little difficult to interpret as to lighting, but tends to show no ‘M’ (the dark leading edge being more extensive), suggesting a lightish ‘dark morph’.  Perhaps it is best described as an ‘intermediate morph’.  The ‘darker female’ theory lacks logic.  Darker than what?  A ‘darker’ female ‘light morph’ would presumably be lighter than a male ‘dark morph’.

I note that in the closely related Booted Eagle a third morph, ‘rufous morph’ is recognised.

I now think that the birds currently at FSP are a mated pair, any difference from last year’s plumage in the female being due to condition of the plumage.   Yesterday when I was there with Julian the male made what seemed to be a (rejected) pre-copulatory pass.  Is there a ‘(PCP(R))’ ‘ code for the database breeding records?(Julian’s simultaneous snap is no doubt superior but here it is anyway).

LE aJ_3843.jpg

As to Julian’s question about the appropriateness of this kind of discussion, well, I’ve previously acknowledged everyone has their own preferences, sometimes strong ones.  It doesn’t matter much to me as I’m happy to exchange views on the matter directly with Julian or anyone else who is interested.