canberrabirds

Pairs of Birds of Prey at Fyshwick

Subject: Pairs of Birds of Prey at Fyshwick
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 09:28:08 +1000
Yesterday afternoon at Kellys / Fyshwick Sewerage Ponds there were 3 pairs of 'Birds of Prey' (or, without the capitals, 4 pairs of birds of prey):

2 Whistling Kites
2 Black-shouldered Kites
2 Little Eagles, and
2 Kookaburras.

All except one of the eagles were 'hunting' at the same time around 3:30pm.

One of the Little Eagles looks different from the pair I photographed last October and I'd be interested if someone monitoring them could tell me if this is so.  The nesting tree has become thin and ragged in the drought and you can now see the nest(s) easily from some angles. (I hadn't realised there seems to be two platforms, one might be an older nest).

While I was watching one of the BSKs I was sitting on a dead branch in the middle of the grassy swamp area with the subject Kite perched on a long dead stick about 20m away preening, searching and once hovering.  A peewit happened to chase the other BSK from somewhere in a noisy flurry into the dead tree under which I was sitting, it landing 3-4m absolutely directly above me without realising I was there. After recovering from the chase for maybe 5-10 seconds it heard me move and this is the look of shock as it looked down and realised it had company so close.  It flew off immediately.

[] []

Julian