canberrabirds

salami

To: <>
Subject: salami
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 13:17:43 +1000

More recent members of this chatline may not remember Bob Rusk who was a regular contributor both to it and its telephonic predecessor run by Ian Fraser.  On his daily rounds Bob always seemed to start with a check of Kelly Swamp, from which he was the first to report any new arrival.   At a time when there were fewer pairs of binos out there it was good to get a heads-up from Bob, which would sometimes be relayed to me as ‘That Scotsman’s rung up again.  I think he’s found some bird you might be interested in.’

He took a close interest in the nesting turtledoves of Queanbeyan, and I have some video of Bob holding his tradesman’s ladder while David McDonald climbed up to verity a nest in a swaying pencil cypress.  Over some years he also monitored the nesting goshawks of Oaks Estate and enjoyed taking out the odd unsuspecting birdwatcher to see their reaction to Old Swoop.

Bob hankered after a cooler climate, and sadly left us for Tasmania, but Kellys has not been the same.   His book, ‘Regional Australian Cuisine, vol I:  The Sausage’, is due to be published later this year.