canberrabirds

Location of Little Wattlebirds

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Location of Little Wattlebirds
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 13:35:37 +1000
For those inquiring about the location of the Little Wattlebirds:

At 0930 last Sunday 17 June we walked from the Aborigine & Torres Strait Islander building carpark past the northern end of the building and joined an unsealed pedestrian track leading to the lakeshore. About 20m before the bitumen cycle path we saw a Red Wattlebird swooping at two birds perched in the outer foliage a nearby euclaypt tree.

The harassed birds moved about 25m north to another eucalypt. We approached and enjoyed a good 10-second view through binos until the Red Wattlebird reappeared and landed on the branch next to them. The Little Wattlebirds immediately decamped, flying high and fast towards Black Mountain. We were, however, able to keep them in view for a further five seconds before they melded from sight against the background of the mountain.

John K. Layton