canberrabirds

Little Eagle Kill

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Little Eagle Kill
From: "Esme Barker & Bruce Ramsay" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:55:37 +1000
About 11.30 today I was at the Fyshwick Sewage Ponds. The Little Eagle was perched on a low branch in the pine trees that line the roadway that runs past the brick building on the top of the hill. As I watched it went to the ground, stayed there for a few minutes (it was obscured from my sight) and then flew back up to one of the pines carrying a rabbit in its right talons. After about 5 more minutes of sitting and holding the rabbit, it then tore it 3 times with its beak before flying off with it to the pines beyond the far side of the building.

I see the Little Eagle most times I go out to FSP, either sitting in one of the pine trees or soaring or being harassed in flight by a variety of smaller birds, but this is the first occasion I have witnessed it catching and killing prey. I had my camera with me but the bird was just a bit too far away and partially obscured by branches to allow me to get a decent picture. Memorable nonetheless.

Bruce