canberrabirds

Single observer recordsRe: [canberrabirds [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Subject: Single observer recordsRe: [canberrabirds [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:02:58 +1000

Well said Milburn. I think this forum has proved to be excellent for mobilising/motivate the birding community, whether it is to express an opinion or get out there and see some birds (new or otherwise). It all started with a Red Knot!

Follow up records of BCHE now reaffirm my suspicion that family groups of BCHEs have relocated rather than just individuals (like the Blue-faced HE last year) . If they are at two local sites in Canberra there is a good chance others will be located in other woodlands around the region. This is also reflected by the reports of Yellow-tufted HE around Canberra and White-plumed HEs everywhere.

cheers
Richard

Milburns <>

16/06/2007 11:52 AM

cc
Subject
[canberrabirds] Single observer records

Single observer records (of anything) should always be regarded with
a degree of healthy skepticism.  Birds that are obviously in transit
are rarely observed again and seldom offer the opportunity to obtain
a photograph.  I believe that it is important to record and publicise
these observations because patterns may become established at some
point in the future, particularly because subsequent observers have
been alerted to the possibility that a species may be recorded in
areas where they have not been reported previously.

I am able to think of no better examples than from the first trip out
to Ashmore Reef.  I identified 3 Jouanin''s Petrels and one Swinhoe's
Storm-Petrel on this trip and this generated heated debate every
evening between those who agreed and disagreed.  Both of these
species have been observed on just about every subsequent trip in
October and, with excellent photographs being obtained
subsequently,nobody now doubts that these two species are present in
Australian waters.

If people have doubts then by all means air them.  I believe that is
one of the strengths of this type of forum.

Milburn
--
The Milburns
8 Miller Street

List manager: David McDonald, email <>

--
This message contains privileged and confidential information only
for use by the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended