canberrabirds

Googong

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: Googong
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 16:58:52 +1000
This afternoon I went for a wander along the Western shore of Googong Gibber Plain, to complete my plan of making at least one observation in every square covered by the Hoskintown 1:25k map sheet.

Comparing the level of the water and various structures that seemed designed to touch the water when at capacity (eg a boat ramp) really brought home how low the dam is.  The good news is that although Friday night's rain was minimal - at least at Carwoola, which is only on the other side of the hill from Googong - several of the feeder streams were trickling wtaer into the dam.

I wrote down 28 species, of which none were uncommon.  The most interesting was a flock of satin bower birds - I only saw green birds - making a large ruckus in a steep gully running into the lower part of Wells Inlet.  I would be surprised if there wa not a bower in the vicinity but I didn't have time to do a long searh and the gully was thickly vegetated as well as steep!

Martin