canberrabirds

Western side of Mt Taylor - Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters

To: "Alastair Smith" <>
Subject: Western side of Mt Taylor - Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 18:00:24 +1000
Hi Alastair,

Well done. That is such a clever response. I would not have thought of doing that. I'd say with 99+% confidence, yes it is. The dam is under the word "are" in your question, as it comes through the e-mail. The entry point is through the gate, sort of opposite Bolden Place. The walking track is obvious and bends 90 degrees to the right just before the dam, as shown in the picture and the dam looks the right shape. In which case the location of the colony of Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters is about 1cm below the word "about" in your question as it comes through the e-mail. Or described on the ground: it is about 100 metres to the left of the track (up, in the photo below) after the track bends 90 degrees to the right, as it starts up the hill. The birds were in the small eucalypts around the edge of the grassy open area. I think five birds was an underestimate. Come to think of it, most of my obs of the species over the years within Canberra have been of only one or two of them together.