canberrabirds

Western side of Mt Taylor - Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters

To: "'Philip Veerman'" <>, <>
Subject: Western side of Mt Taylor - Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters
From: "Alastair Smith" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 12:26:38 +1000

Having read and followed up all the sightings of Yellow-tufted honeyeaters this autumn/winter and dipped, Steve Holliday and I conspired to follow up PV’s sighting and we wandered up Mt Taylor this morning. Near the dam we found a Yellow-tufted in amongst Fuscous, White-plumed and White-eared Honeyeaters and a single red wattlebird. Having commiserated with numerous Canberra birders in recent times on the paucity of honeyeaters during bird watching excursions, we were pretty pleased with this result. Obviously the conditions today, in the cold and with Mt Taylor shrouded in fog, were different from Saturday, but the  yellow-tufted was alone and was not calling.

On our way out were alerted to a couple of calls which we followed up and found three more yellow-tufted, including one sans tail. Feeling fulfilled with a tally of four, as Holliday and I together normally results in bad luck, we observed a large flock of calling honeyeaters flew over  and landed in a nearby eucalypt. We counted at least 12 yellow-tufted, including 11 in one binocular view.

A excellent morning’s birding…thanks Philip for the advice.

Cheers

Alastair