canberrabirds

Powerful Owl at the Botanic Garden - some considerations

Subject: Powerful Owl at the Botanic Garden - some considerations
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 20:46:56 +1000

By way of background, I manage the Branch that includes the ANBG. I was concerned about some of the stories I heard in relation to the Owl. I offer the following observations from Gardens staff to help individual COG folk decide what they will do in the future should another Powerful Owl be sighted in a public place close to the city.

We estimate that there were about 400 extra visitors to the ANBG just to look at the Owl over four days. It is likely that for most it was a once in a lifetime experience to see a Powerful Owl. The increased revenue from parking would just about offset the additional costs in staff time.
Resource-wise, we are not in a position to maintain full-time owl guards.
Most people behaved appropriately.
The twitchers were duly twitched by staff and noted to be behaving well.
But the behaviour of some of the visitors was unpleasant to staff.
Children in particular tried to make the Owl react.
Some of visitors trampled the garden beds in order to get that special shot or a closer look. Dedicated horticulturalists can get upset when they see others trampling their work.

We welcome visitors - numbers are tracking up and we are aiming for half a million a year.

I should close by observing that we pride ourselves on providing a wonderful urban amenity, a place for science and a place for sharing knowledge. The Owl does sort of fit in there pretty well but for me an uncomfortable question remains: 'Did the Owl leave because it was not allowed to roost in peace?'

Con