canberrabirds

What bird is that? (albino Coot)

To: <>
Subject: What bird is that? (albino Coot)
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 17:11:23 +1000

For this species the entry in HANZAB says:

<< Aberrant plumages.  Partial albino adult from Kerang, Vic., had white band c.3cm wide between breast and belly, and broad white tips to tertials;  juvenile from Kerang had white trailing-edge to secondaries, 5mm wide.  Unsexed adult from L. Eyre, SA, had irregular light-brown ... patches on hindneck, mantle and right wing.  >>

On those few records, the Canberra bird may be an example of relatively extreme (although partial) albinism, and so write-up-able.  It looks to be smaller than some other coots, so may be a female.  On the south side of LBG East Basin, it tends to wander off by itself (more, I would think, than other coots) but readily joins in the frenzied activity at the bread handouts.

For this widespread species, there are a number of instances of albinism reported in other countries, but it is quite a task to winkle out the details of these, even where they are given.

The following shows the extent of the white, black and grey for our bird (L & R as shown).

w coot comp_0861.jpg