canberrabirds

Some more Weebills

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Some more Weebills
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 18:43:17 +1000
Yesterday morning at Belconnen golf course, I found seven Yellow-rumped Thornbills feeding on the ground together with 14 Red-browed Finches, four House Sparrows, six Blue Wrens, two White-browed Scubwrens and a male Common Blackbird that had a large splotch of white plumage on his mantle.

Close by, up in the shrubbery, 'bout 2.5 metres above the ground, I saw what I think was a female Scarlet Robin, about five Spotted Pardalotes, 'bout the same number of Buff-rumped Thornbills and three Weebills. Previously, I've had few positive identifications of Weebills, none of them from Belconnen, and they've always been feeding way up in the high foliage.

While driving home, along Spofforth Street, Holt, we saw about twenty Sulphur-crested Cockatoos feeding on the ground together with three Little Corellas just inside the golf course fence.

John K. Layton