canberrabirds

On drought, honeyeaters and other birds

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: On drought, honeyeaters and other birds
From: "Michael & Janette Lenz" <>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 09:12:35 +1000

The current discussion on honeyeater movement is very interesting. The long-term drought has resulted in diverse impacts and responses by birds.  It is certainly a time to be most alert to what is happening to our birds.

Yellow-faced Honeyeater (YFH): Along with Nicki Taws? report on the April 07 honeyeater migration in the May 07 Gang-gang, I agree that ?this season it also seems that the honeyeater migration began unusually early with large numbers reported moving in mid-March?Perhaps the prolonged dry summer has depleted food resources in the mountains...?. This is echoed in other comments on the chat line (e.g. by Harvey) and would indicate migration  a month earlier than usual (also Lindsay's obs.). In addition I could envisage that many birds may have simply drifted out of the ranges early to sites with better resources, thus reducing further YFH numbers that would normally have been recorded along traditional migration routes in the ACT

I feel drought related food shortages can at least explain some other observations too.

Noisy Friarbird (NF): The mass flowering of Yellow Boxes and other eucalypts from the end of last year attracted many NFs, most memorable at Mulligan?s Flat. Flowering finished around mid February, and NFs quickly disappeared from our area, in fact about a month earlier than is the ?norm?. Counts I have done at one site support the strong decline of NF numbers around mid February. Any birds seen later were largely birds passing through from outside our range, as was the consensus expressed by several members on the chat line. It would seem that not much to eat was left for this species, in contrast to other years when the area could sustain them for longer.

Red Wattlebird (RW): We had recently on the chat line several reports of impressive mass migration of RWs on the coast (Marnix, Harvey, Noel) , even locally migrating groups of 100+ have been seen (incl. by myself), the largest groups the respective observers had recorded locally. This made me conscious of something I had noted for some time in areas I tend to visit in Canberra: RW numbers are currently very low, even our local garden residents have gone, certainly a first, just a few birds appear every now and then from surroundings. My guess is that even our RWs suffer from food shortages and have moved on/are moving on, they may even have bolstered the numbers of RWs seen migrating on the coast. I saw the first migrating flock of 40 birds already on 31.12.06 near Bungendore

Current climate conditions have also given us various exciting records of inland species. We have witnessed the notable opportunistic breeding response of waterbirds to the Jan/Feb rains (something you only read about, but we now could witness it in our area), but equally we can see declines in many species, poor breeding success, earlier than usual departures etc. These kinds of impacts of the drought may have not yet been fully appreciated.

Michael Lenz