canberrabirds

Weebill

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: Weebill
From: "Michael & Janette Lenz" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 06:47:16 +1000

The Weebill is not usually a species to arouse much interest, and hence hardly mentioned on the chat line. However, over the last few months I have noticed this species in many places where it normally does not show up, such as in several streets in Dickson and Ainslie (away from the Mt Ainslie CNP), incl. in our garden with max 5 in early April (normally absent except for the odd record), Haig Park (Braddon/Turner) and parts of the ANU. On 27 April there was a flock of 11 in Haig Park.

I had originally planned to send this message under the heading ?tough times getting tougher?: as a result of the prolonged drought more and more birds enter the relatively green space of Canberra, and the Weebill is just one example. Let us hope recent rains signal an end to the tough times. Philip?s GBS report indicates a gradual slight increase from the start of the year to a max. in June/July. However, the observations this year from the areas I tend to walk through more regularly are without precedent

Michael Lenz