canberrabirds

Raptors on one leg

To: "'Julian Robinson'" <>, "'Canberrabirds'" <>
Subject: Raptors on one leg
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:27:39 +1000

Hello again, Julian.  Re the below, anything you call them is fine by me, but I think experience shows that it is better not to raise such issues.

However, just in case it is important to you ...

First, ‘hobby’ is not a proper noun.  Hence it is ‘canaries’, ‘lories’ and ‘hobbies’.  The convention that is usually followed is so expressed in Fowler (2nd ed):

“ ... when the y is preceded by a consonant the plural is –ies.  .... But proper names do not  conform.  There are now two Germanys.  /  The three Marys at the crucifixion. ...”

Therefore it is ‘two Australian Hobbys’ but ‘two hobbies’.

Insistence on capitalised ‘official’ names is a source of confusion.   Why should ‘cat’ and ‘dog’ be lower-case, but ‘Currawong’ and ‘Gang-gang’ be upper-case?  All are common nouns (unlike ‘Gang-gang Cockatoo’), and there is no reason for the upper-case for any of the first four.  Use of the upper case signals that one is using an ‘official name’.  Thus:  ‘I saw a black cockatoo, and a closer view showed that it was a Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo.’

It should be ‘I saw a black duck, and a closer view showed that it was a Pacific Black Duck.’  However, ‘Black Duck’ is still frequently seen, presumably used by persons who are expressing a preference for an earlier ‘official name’.

Eponymous names present particular difficulties.  It is a matter of taste whether Lamingtons have gone the way of sandwiches and become lamingtons.  Failure to grasp that the King Parrot was named for Governor King has led to the curious compound ‘King-Parrot’.  Those who prefer ‘lamington’ might well say:   “The Australian King-Parrot is larger than the king-parrot found in New Guinea”.