canberrabirds

West Macgregor - Black Falcon/s & Zebs

To: "COG list" <>
Subject: West Macgregor - Black Falcon/s & Zebs
From: "Frank Antram" <>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 18:45:50 +1000

I went out to west Macgregor again today after the rain, getting there at 1.15pm.  4 Zebra Finches were sitting in the clump of dead bramble that is about half way along the gravel track to the old sewage works.

I went over to the south side of the sewage works to look for the chats and Flame Robins, but no sign of them.  Around 2pm, I spotted a large dark falcon with broad, pointed slightly drooped wings fly low past the northern end of the sewage works, and alight on one of the power poles along the track on the western side.  It looked like a Black Falcon, but I wasn’t 100% certain it wasn’t an immature Peregrine.  I made my way back, keeping the bird in view.  At one point a second dark falcon with similar jizz flew along the creek, past the bird on the pole, and disappeared behind some trees, but I was too busy trying to keep the bird on the pole in view.  I got back to the northern end and sat watching the bird, still some distance away, for about 20 minutes.  Then I decided to hop the fence and go down to within about 30 metres of the bird.  It was clearly a Black Falcon, and it watched me for a minute or two before taking off and circling around for several minutes before heading off in a north-westerly direction.  Ian Fraser turned up – he had been independently watching the bird for several minutes as it circled around.

This was an ACT first for me – a species that has long eluded me, and I got to watch it for about half an hour, and there were almost certainly two birds.  Now all I need is that Pied Butcherbird!

Other species of note – 1 Wedge-tailed Eagle, c.10 Dusky Woodswallows, c.20 Double-barred Finches, c.20 Red-rumped Parrots.  1 Black-shouldered Kite when I walked over to Dunlop, and I was surprised to find a solitary Hardhead on a small pond near the houses in Dunlop.

Regards

Frank