canberrabirds

Left and Right

To: "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Left and Right
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:10:22 +1000

Quite a bit has been written on the point also.  There is first a question whether the foot that holds the food indicates the 'footedness'.  The bird might well prefer to hang from or balance its weight on its stronger foot.  My observations are that cockatoos nearly always hold the food in the left foot, ground-feeding cockatoos for example plucking the eg weed with the bill and rocking onto the right foot to eat it from the left.  In my COG Gang-gang video I pointed out that published pictures (or film for that matter) should not be trusted on this point, because the image can readily be 'flipped' for one reason or other.  Graeme Chapman's Gang-gang photo on the jacket of that well-known edition of 'Birds in the Australian High Country' is an example.

As to parrots, I would have thought they had some preference for holding the food in the left foot.  More significant for tree-feeders, perhaps, is which foot holds the preferred perch, likely to be the more secure one.  I am sure we have all seen parrots 'change feet' so they can feed in their preferred attitude, perhaps so as be able to keep an eye on the observer rather than turn their back.  This is very evident with the KPs in my Catalpa tree, the handling of the awkward pods being quite a prolonged operation.  Neither of these pictures has been flipped, but then you have to take my word for that.

non-flip.JPG