canberrabirds

Left and Right

To: "John Layton" <>, "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Left and Right
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 09:49:12 +1000
There has been quite a lot of discussion on Birding-Aus in the past regarding "footedness" in cockatoos. If I remember correctly, it boiled down to most cockatoo species being predominantly left-footed (with the exception perhaps of some captive birds) and the Crimson Rosella being mostly right-footed. I don't think anyone had noticed which foot other species of parrot were using. Certainly all my observations here in the Blue Mountains conform to the above, including Sulphur-cresteds, Gang-gang, Yellow-tailed and Glossy Black all being left-footed. There's obviously something strange going on with the cockatoos on paddocks around Wagga Wagga!

Incidentally, the invasion of Sulphur-crested Cockatoos into the Blue Mountains over the past 20 years has been very conspicuous. During the 80s they were quite a rare sight; these days each neighbourhood seems to have its own flock of 60-100, making a huge din as they wheel around and descend on unwitting houses, or dive from the clifftops to roost in the valleys at dusk. Now the Rainbow Lorikeets are also moving into parts of the mountains where they didn't occur previously and I fear their increase will be even greater than the SCCs. I mention these things because it seems a similar thing might be happening in Canberra, or is on the brink of happening.

cheers,

Carol