canberrabirds

Re: Escapees vs. Escapers

To: "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Re: Escapees vs. Escapers
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:29:40 +1000

Gadzooks!  And what about banshee, manatee and peewee.  We shall be here all week if we are going to ventilate such fine preferences in choices of words.  Anyone interested in the grosser peculiarities of the language might start with Julian Burnside's little book 'Word Watching' which will explain why 'epicentre' has finished up with the opposite of its original meaning and an albatross is really a pelican.

The original English '-ee' nouns came via Law French from the French past participle.  Like it or not by the middle of the nineteenth century we had such words made from intransitive verbs, and 'escapee' etc were part of the language.  An employee is an employed person and an escapee is an escaped person (or animal).   If we are going to quibble I would argue that an 'escaper' is only an escaper if he/she/it is in the act of escaping or an habitual escaper.  What has happened, of course, is that recently many new nouns have been manufactured from all sorts of verbs, such as 'franchisee' and 'draftee'.  There is no limit to this.  An 'educatee' is a person who is educated and a 'supersizee' is a person served with a very large hamburger.  This has focussed attention on ‘-ee’ as a suffix and created the impression that '-ee' is to be deployed at will but belongs only to the object of transitive verbs.  It is odd that this should be suggested to be a rule of the English language.

the escape.jpg