canberrabirds

aviary escapees

To: <>
Subject: aviary escapees
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 18:23:11 +1000
A strange and interesting story. I wonder how widespread that attitude is or did Susan just strike someone unhelpful or on a bad day or something like that. I suppose he was referring to beak and feather disease. Even so, I would have thought that risk would be low, however the consequences would be high. It would also depend on the value of the bird and of course the simple fact that even if the owner knows where the bird is, unless it is really tame, it is very hard to catch it, once it is away from view of the aviary it came from.

For what it is worth, Princess Parrot is one of the non-local species that has been recorded in the GBS.

p.s. A side point, I write escaper or releasee. I believe that someone who escapes is an escaper or even escapist if they are skilled at it. Whereas an escapee is or should be, someone to whom an escape has happened. This is in consistency to normal word use and contrary to the way the word has commonly been used.