canberrabirds

yfhes

Subject: yfhes
From: William Compston <>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 20:23:39 +1000
There have been very few mentions of sightings of the yellow faced honey
eaters on the move  Noone has reported seeing them flocking down the
Murrumbidgee corridor.  Has anyone seen them there?

We went, on Friday, to Point Hut at 8.30am, and did not see any yfhes.
Although it was sunny a strong wind had come up.  We were there about 20
minutes and then decided that it was not worth while, because of the windy
conditions to go on to Angle Crossing.  Anyone had any luck there?

Today, about 10am, to the west of Jerrabomberra where Lindsay has reported
seeing migrating birds, we saw several flocks of about 50 birds, flying in
from the west.  We then went to the junction of Monaro H'way and Tharwa
Road.  We saw a hobby perched high in a dead tree, apparently just waiting
to grab a yfhe for meal.  Well, in the 20 minutes that we watched, two
flocks of about 50 each, flew by and the hobby made no move.  And the yfhes
did not even seem to notice it.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Compston
8 Wells Gardens