canberrabirds

Warks Road Antechinus

To: "Alastair Smith" <>
Subject: Warks Road Antechinus
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 09:41:47 +1100

Hi Alastair,

I have reproduced below a section (with some recent taxonomic changes from
CSIRO List of Australian Vertebrates 2nd Ed.) on ACT mammals from the
following publication:

The Ecological Resources of the ACT
Technical Paper 42 Canberra ACT May 1984
National Capital Development Commission
ISBN 0 642 87615 0
ISSN 0313-9948
pp74-75

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Species                             Status                  Optimum Habitat
Types             Marginal Habitat Types

Agile Antechinus (A. agilis)              Common (Widespread      Wet
sclerophyll forest                        Rivers
0-1800m                             in suitable habitat)    Dry sclerophyll
forest                        Mountain streams & creeks
                                                      Montane grassy
woodland
                                                      Subalpine woodland
                                                      Scrub
                                                      Heath (subalpine)
                                                      Subalpine
grassland/alpine herbfield

Dusky Antechinus (A. swainsonii)          Common (Limited   Wet sclerophyll
forest                        Mountain streams & creeks
Also found >1600m in NSW                  distribution)           Montane
grassy woodland
                                                      Subalpine woodland
                                                      Heath (subalpine)
                                                      Subalpine
grassland/alpine herbfield
                                                      Tablelands (Wet
tussock) grassland
                                                      Bog/fen

Yellow-footed Antechinus (A. f. flavipes)       Common (Limited   Dry
sclerophyll forest                        Rivers
Dry, lowland areas                        distribution)           Lowland
grassy woodland               Mountain streams & creeks
                                                      Scrub
                                                      Swamp sclerophyll
(riverine) forest
                                                      Rocky surfaces

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Interestingly this publication also contains a map showing Kangaroo
movement routes and the Honeyeater migration route.

I find it hard to believe that this publication may be the only 'recent'
definitive guide to the ACT's fauna and their habitat. Although the CSIRO
List of Australian Vertebrates is good from a taxonomic/conservation point
of view. I also cant find a defintive list of the altitudinal ranges of
Australian mammals.

One of my alpine guide books also mentions that A. agilis is 'strictly
nocturnal'.

Cheers
Marnix

             "Alastair Smith"
             <
             l.com.au>                                                  To
                                          "'Philip Veerman'"
             19/02/2007 08:19             <>
                                          "Canberrabirds"
                                          <
                                          .au>
                                                                   Subject
                                          RE: [canberrabirds] Warks Road
                                          Antechinus

                                                            Classification
                                          |-------------------|
                                          | [X] Unclassified  |
                                          | [ ] In Confidence |
                                          |-------------------|

Philip,
I omitted the fact that it appeared to be a similar size (as well as
colour) to the White-browed Treecreeper (160-175mm) would indicate that it
was a largish species of antechinus (my initial reaction was that is was
another white-brow climbing down the stump). As such, this which would
probably rule out Agile (80-116mm) and point to yellow-footed (90-160mm) or
dusky (90-185mm). I presume both species a re found in the ACT but
interesting I cannot find a list of mammal species for the ACT (nor
birds/retiles for that matter) under the Environment ACT website.

Many thanks to all those who have replied on and offline – we’ll nail this
identification yet.
Cheers
Alastair