canberrabirds

Koel

To: <>
Subject: Koel
From: COG Lists Manager <>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 18:04:04 +1100
One of the many great achievement of Mark Clayton and his colleagues in producing the volume Clayton, M, Wombey, JC, Mason, IJ, Chesser, RT & Wells, A 2006, CSIRO list of Australian vertebrates: a reference with conservation status, 2nd edn, (CSIRO Publishing, Collingwood, Vic.) is updating the species list of birds, and the English name for some where the species is not changed but an English name change is warranted. Some of the changes were published a couple of years ago in Shodde & Mason's Directory - though passerines only there.

Name changes of species that we have in the ACT that I spotted when Mark's book was published, updating Christidis & Boles 1994, are:
- Pacific Koel - was Common Koel - different species
- Australian Reed Warbler - was Clamorous Reed-Warbler - different species
- Australian Pipit - was Richard's Pipit - different species
- Horsfield's Bushlark - was Singing Bushlark - different English name tho same species
- Eurasian Skylark - was Skylark - different English name tho same species
Any other changes to the ACT birds, Mark?

Also ... I wonder if the mention of the Oriental Skylark as being a vagrant/accidental in the ACT is a typo, or if there is a local record not generally known about?

And another also:- I note that Milburn (and many others) refer to the Fork-tailed Swift Apus pacificus as Pacific Swift, but HANZAB and Clayton et al. do not follow suit. Considering that its range includes not only the Pacific but also India, Sri Lanka, Tibet, Mongolia, inland China, not to mention SE Asia and Western Australia, perhaps Fork-tailed is preferable?

David