canberrabirds

Crimson Rosellas again

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: Crimson Rosellas again
From: "Michael & Janette Lenz" <>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 18:07:28 +1100
Many thanks for comments to my earlier note concerning the Crimson Rosella count. Very interesting. Clearly we have a long way to go before we understand what is going on.

Chris Davey: Many thanks for sharing the info. from Dick Schodde on the different moulting times for the two sexes. I also did not know this.

Harvey Perkins: It would seem we could well have regional differences if your impression from Kambah reflects a more normal breeding season for this species. In suburban Ainslie and in the Mt Ainslie/Mt Majura Canberra Nature Park, I have only seen a few young. We also had none at our bird feeder this season.

The birds I counted at the base of Mt Majura seem to be largely coming out of the suburbs (Hackett, Watson).

Benjamin Whitworth: Yes, I  have also sometimes noted flocks of immature birds only, although I thought (but I may be wrong) flocking may happen a bit later in the season. Where do the birds go? Sometimes you don't see any 'green' birds for a long time, and suddenly there appear 3 or 4 in the garden.

Bill Handke: The Mynah  can rightly be blamed for many things. But in this case I doubt that it explains poor breeding success in Crimson Rosellas (assuming I was right in my original assumption). In the central northern suburbs, the Starling population crashed a few years ago and although Mynahs moved in, numbers are still relatively low. This would mean currently less competition for nesting sites compared to times when Starlings were common. (At the same time, cutting of trees or heavy pruning, and the many house renovations may increasingly be depriving birds of natural hollows and access to roof space.)

I would agree that there is plenty of food for Rosellas, but the drought may impact in subtle ways. For example, there may no longer be the best mix of food items available, or the quality may have declined.

Well, whatever the final story may be, it is probably worth keeping on eye on this species for some time to come (Alistair Smith will do this already! Thanks). The different plumages of old and young birds give us a better chance of gaining a few more insights.

Michael  Lenz