canberrabirds

Coast

To: <>
Subject: Coast
From: "Rod's Gardening" <>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:20:54 +1100
Like Marnix I'm not long back from a stint at the beach.  Birding highlights started on the Canberra side of Braidwood on the way down - if you can call seeing a large flock of Starlings perhaps 500 - 1000 strong a highlight.  There were a couple of smaller flocks on the other side of town, along with the pleasant chance sighting of 3 yellow tailed black cockatoos wafting there way o'er the Kings Highway.  Then at the bottom of the Clyde there were a further 4 YTBCs, a precursor to several more sightings of these over the next week.

Highlights seen while kayaking on Durras Lake included 2 Pied Oystercatchers, a Caspian Tern,  6 Intermediate Egrets, and a Peregrine Falcon seen harassing a Sulphur crested cockatoo, then an hour later giving a Whistling Kite a hard time.  The next day (probably) the same bird was seen trying to annoy a Sea Eagle which didn't seem too worried, just kept riding the thermals until virtually out of sight with the naked eye.

Other sightings while bushwalking in the Durras area were about 8 secretive Brown Quail, 4 Rufous Whistlers, 2 Jacky Winters, plenty of Koels calling, a Brown Cuckoo Dove 2 Whipbirds, plus the usual "mundane" array of Honeyeaters - Lewins, White earred, Yellow faced, New Holland and Eastern Spinebills.  A Fairy Penguin was reported washed up dead on the beach, presumably another storm victim.

Some other highlights during a paddle across the Clyde River then up the Buckenbowra River as far as Runnyford were 6 Great Egrets & numerous Cormorants, and a large flock of Wood Ducks startled into flight by several shots from Farmer Brown's shotgun - on hearing the blasts we decided to abort forward progress where the road bridge crosses the river, just in case ...  During the resultant early lunch break we saw a Common Bronzewing and saw and heard Satin Bowerbirds making incredible noises, plus 5 Jacky Winters equally spaced out on a barbed wire fence.  White throated Gerygones were also heard calling.  On the return trip the undoubted highlight was the sighting of a magnificent Osprey near Ryan's Island - great views of the bird flying and landing in a spotted gum, perching for some time then flying directly over us as it moved off.  Reference books suggest to me it was either a female or an immature with the "necklace" very evident.

The next day Brou Lake/Whitakers Creek produced at least 8 Azure Kingfishers while high overhead were what I think were 5 Peregrine Falcons.

And on the trip back to Canberra, 2 YTBCs flying over a busy Braidwood main Street.

Cheers

Rod

Rod Mackay
Tel.  0407 456 330