canberrabirds

Crimson Rosella - a measure of breeding success?

To: <>
Subject: Crimson Rosella - a measure of breeding success?
From: "Chris Davey" <>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:37:13 +1100

Interesting observations Michael.  The lesson here is that we should all spend much more time noting the proportions of the different plumages.  I was talking to Dick Shodde and he agreed with my observations that one often sees a pair of Crimson rosella of which one is in juvenile plumage.  This is because female take longer to acquire the full adult plumage and not because the older male is only interested in a younger female or because there is a disproportionate loss of females from the population.

Chris