canberrabirds

COG Brindabella and LBG outing

To: <>
Subject: COG Brindabella and LBG outing
From: "Jack and Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:43:09 +1100

A reminder to list subscribers that the COG Field Trips Program for 2007 is about to begin with the following 2 outings.  In particular there are plenty of spots left for the LBG boat cruise.

Brindabellas;  Sunday 21 January - Day outing

This will be COG's traditional annual visit to the Blundells Creek/Warks Roads area of the Brindabellas, which as members know was devastated in the 18 January 2003 bush fires.  The outing will provide members with an opportunity to see how this area is regenerating from the fire damage and also to see what birds have returned here this summer.

Meet Bruce Lindenmayer at Uriarra Homestead (cnr Cotter and Uriarra Rds) at 8.30 am.  Note there are actually TWO intersections of Cotter and Uriarra Roads, the other one being just up the road from Eucumbene Drive, Duffy!  Participants will need to take either road and travel the 15 or so km to Uriarra Homestead at the other end.

Following a quick look at the waterbirds on the large dam there, we will car pool, and also do the usual shuffle, leaving some cars at the top of Blundells Creek Rd and some at the bottom so we only need to walk downhill.  We expect to see Flame Robins and hope that more of the wet forest birds will be back, especially Wonga Pigeon, Red-browed Treecreeper and Cicadabird.  Could those intending to participate please ring Bruce (6288 5957, mobile 0417 418 759) beforehand as due to the sensitivity of the area and potential parking problems it has been agreed to limit numbers.

Black Mountain Peninsula/Springbank Island;  Saturday 27 January evening electric boat trip/picnic

This is a variation of the trip COG has done for the past couple of summers in that it combines a lake cruise with a picnic on Springbank Island where there is a jetty, picnic tables and a toilet.  A perfect way to celebrate the Australia Day weekend.  So why not join us at 5 pm  at the hospital wharf (labelled Acton Peninsula at B7 on Map 59 of the UBD Directory), travel up to Sullivan?s Creek, past the Eastern side of Black Mountain Peninsula to look at nesting darters/cormorants plus any other birds that might be there for about an hour.  We?ll then get dropped off at the jetty on Springbank Island where we?ll be picked up again round 8 pm.

Please take your own food and drinks though a glass of champagne will be supplied.  Depending on the numbers we will travel either in the electric boat the Cygnet which takes a maximum of 10 passengers, or the new appropriately named Darter which can carry 16 people, which though motorised is very quiet at slow speeds.  The cost will be $15.00 per person on either vessel.  If you are interested in participating, please contact Jack Holland (6288 7840 A/H or by E-mail on ).