canberrabirds

a great friend

To: "Canberrabirds" <>, "'Lashko Susan'" <>
Subject: a great friend
From: "Alastair Smith" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 19:28:23 +1100
Sue,
Thanks for passing on this sad news. I will remember Tom for his dry sense
of humour, an example of which was last year when he sent a posting to
canberrabirds titled something like 'Oriental Plover'. I was doing my big
year and nearly twitched out of my skin until I read on and realised Tom had
observed these birds on a COG outing to the Riverina. I duly reported this
to Tom, who apologised profusely and stated that he would be more
considerate to my cardio vascular state in the future.

The last time I saw him was in the ANBG after he had emailed me to report a
sighting of a spangled drongo, knowing I would need the bird for my big
year.

A gentleman and as you say a great loss to the Canberra birding community
Regards
Alastair