canberrabirds

Strange Rosella

Subject: Strange Rosella
From: Ian Fraser <>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 16:16:58 +1100
Hi Bron. Firstly, while it's certainly uncommon, there are not infrequent reports of such rosella hybrids in Canberra. I had a couple around here in Turner a decade or so ago, and there is one nearby at the moment too. It may be coincidental, but in these cases the attendant parent (and I'm not sure off-hand whether this is most likely to be the mother) has always been a Crimson.

Re your point about spp; you're right of course, but the problem is that we tend to think of nature of being static, whereas of course we're only looking at the world at one arbitrary point in time along a continuum. I hope that doesn't sound too obscure; another way of putting it is that the time that any two species have been separated (ie since they were part of a single population) will be different for virtually any species/population pair. If the populations separated relatively recently (eg in magpies or masked lapwings) the isolated populations may have changed to the extent that they look different, but still readily interbreed when they come back together. If they've been apart for longer - eg rosellas - they are almost reproductively isolated, but may occasionally interbreed (perhaps young inexperienced birds??). We would normally expect such offspring to be infertile (though I had strong suspicions of a second-generation hybrid here in the past). And of course most closely related species - eg Scarlet and Flame Robins - live side by side without ever interbreeding.

It really is all a question of time.

I hope this helps more than confounds. I'm sure there are others who can - and hopefully will - explain it better.

best wishes

Ian

---
Ian Fraser,
Environment Tours; Vertego Environmental Wordsmithing
GPO Box 3268, Canberra, ACT 2601
ph: 61 2 6249 1560  fax: 61 2 6247 3227
---