canberrabirds

Woodswallow Breeding Demise

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Woodswallow Breeding Demise
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:54:05 +1100
I would like to encourage those people monitoring or observing this breeding event, to get together and compile this information about a possible abandonment of nests (especially if it has happened similarly at different sites) into an article for CBN. This doesn't include me, as I have not been out there (or anywhere else in the last week) to do any birding. This should be in the context - as said by John K. Layton "I've read here and there .... that White-browed Woodswallows are prone to up and leaving their eggs and nestlings for no discernible reason."

Waterbirds can do this if the water dries up, but for bush birds, it is a rather extreme behaviour and seems rather strange to me and as it would be really useful and worth recording in proper print, even if it has happened before.