canberrabirds

Diamond Firetails at Lake Ginninderra

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Diamond Firetails at Lake Ginninderra
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 21:43:23 +1100
Went for an early morning trudge around Lake Ginninderra with Bratz in tow and stopped off at the clump of large casuarinas near the south-western end of the dam to check for Nankeen Night Herons. Always do that. But no heron joy. We flushed a group of 'bout 15 Red-browed Finches and Bratz ohed and ahed, "Lovely little things. Look, look!"

"C'mon, let's keep going," Head Honcho (me) commanded. I was looking forward to a yummy, artery-clogging breakfast at the Red Rooster, still a 30-minute walk away. But Linda hesitated. "Diamond Firetails!" she chirped. By Jove, the sleeve-tugging young tyro was right. We saw two Diamond Firetails hopping about in the lower branches of a casuarina. They flew to an adjacent tree but we couldn't find them again.

John Layton