canberrabirds

[UNCLASSIFIED] Singing Bushlarks

Subject: [UNCLASSIFIED] Singing Bushlarks
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 10:51:46 +1100
When we were looking for brown songlarks a couple of years ago out past
Parkwood on the ACT border I saw some small 'larks' do a strange flight, low,
with fast wingbeats, and intermittent glides. I watched for ages but could not
get close enough to ID. Having now seen the singing bushlark alarm flight it
looked very similar to this.
Unfortunately this year the paddock is heavily grazed. But on the other side of
the road the grass is long and have heard two separate brown songlarks, seen
pippits and quite a few skylarks, so this may be a potential spot for singing
bushlarks although just outside ACT.
I agree with Roger and Frank. I saw the singing bushlark and one of the birds
at Coppins appears to have a crest, I checked all my field guides and none say
they have a crest.
Benj