canberrabirds

RFI Little Corellas

To: "Marnix Zwankhuizen" <>, "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: RFI Little Corellas
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 23:37:18 +1100
Marnix,
Here is my report to cog list of the "blitz" of last year. I also sometimes encounter the Little Corellas at Kambah playing field and Harvey told me of a group of 80 I think there.

I would hardly call it a blitz, more of a get out and have a look and listen between and after the rain. I went on the phantom threatened bird network Painted Snipe survey at Kelly's swamp and then the FSP after that on Saturday (still good for Blue-billed Ducks (at least 13), Pink-eared Ducks and the other somewhat less special usuals.

Sunday morning was spent at Tharwa and squares south of Tharwa. The surprising thing was the flocks of Little Corellas. Previously I had only seen them in Central Canberra and Queanbeyan, with the occasional ones at Kambah and I don't recall mentions by other people that they had encountered them in the south of the ACT before. We found flocks of 10 at one site (the Namadgi Visitors Centre) and 30 at Gigerline. Those were only the ones we saw clearly at close range and were probably only a small part of the total, judging by the sounds coming from the huge mixed flocks of white birds seen at considerable distance (most of which were surely cockatoos).

We got most of the summer migrants as well.