canberrabirds

RFI Little Corellas

To: <>
Subject: RFI Little Corellas
From: "Esme Barker & Bruce Ramsay" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 08:46:16 +1100
I have only just got back into active bird observing after a break of quite a few years. In fact, the sighting I am about to relate helped get my interest back now that I am retired and have the time to devote to the hobby again.

There has been a large flock of Little Corellas in the Tuggeranong Town Park area for at least 5 weeks. I counted 34 there one morning about the end of September - they were on the grass initially near the barbeque area at the Town Beach (I think thats what it is called) and later flew to the grass area bordering the roadside opposite where apartment construction is presently going on.

I have also observed a pair of Little Corellas flying parallel to Tharwa Drive towards Tuggeranong Town Centre on a couple of occasions in the late afternoon (up to about 7 months ago) and just last week a pair (on one occasion) and 6 (last Friday evening) flew over our house in Gordon in the opposite direction ie towards Tharwa. We live adjacent to Tharwa Drive at almost the southern extremity of Gordon suburb. My hope is that one day I may see them with young!

I took the attached photos at Tuggeranong Town Park last Friday. There were about double the birds present than are shown, but because I was on my pushbike and in a hurry to get home I didnt actually try and count the total.

Hope this is of some interest.

Bruce Ramsay