canberrabirds

Vale Pelican

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Vale Pelican
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 09:06:10 +1100
At 8 o'clock yesterday morning, while cycling through the Belconnen golf course with a velocipede-buff brat, we happened upon a pelican. On first take, it appeared to be in pretty fine fettle, settled on its tummy, wings nicely folded and bill tucked against throat in restful repose.

"Is it asleep or dead?" Impatient Brat demanded.

"The latter, I believe," I replied.

We did a quick laypersons' postmortem. The pelican was stiff and cold but we found no obvious injuries. There was, however, some thin, bloodied nasal discharge apparent.

"Will we take it to CSIRO?" Samantha asked.

"You want to ride home carrying a dead pelico on your Repco?" I asked. Accordingly, the pelico remained in situ.

Earlier today we  passed the spot again but the carcass had been removed. Perhaps the golfers would have preferred an albatross.

John Layton.