canberrabirds

White throated Nightjar....

To: "'Philip Veerman'" <>, <>
Subject: White throated Nightjar....
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 16:27:27 +1100

Philip,

On what definitive evidence do you base your assertion that the Spotted Nightjar does not occur in the ACT bearing in mind that once upon a time the Black-necked Stork, Brown Gerygone and even the White-throated Nightjar had never been recorded in the ACT, or COG’s area of concern. The three mentioned, plus a host of others, now have been. I was taught a long time ago by the venerable Steve Wilson that as birds have wings and most can fly, they could turn up anywhere. Terry’s possible Spotted Nightjar record only confirms that the Rarities Panel has to be careful as to what we accept.

It may interest you to know that your record was not dismissed unanimously, I actually agreed with it.

Mark