canberrabirds

White throated Nightjar.... yet again

To: "Mark Clayton" <>
Subject: White throated Nightjar.... yet again
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 17:07:54 +1100
Hi Mark,
Thanks for your comments. I can suggest words such as "definitive evidence" and "assertion" probably overstate the intent of my comment. Seeing you asked, I agree I don't have definitive evidence. It is really based on balance of probability or beyond reasonable doubt grounds. In accepting your point, can I sensibly say that I am sure that we are never really totally sure of anything? And I accept your passed on wisdom from Steve Wilson. I wrote that the Spotted Nightjar does not occur here, on the basis that we have no reason to think it does. The point I made was that if it was not a White-throated Nightjar, then it must be a Spotted Nightjar, as it wasn't something else. However I still maintain that my observation was nowhere near adequate for the RP to endorse it as a first ACT record of a Spotted Nightjar so we ended up with a non result. My id was also on opinion given to me at the time from Dick Schodde that my recalling of the sound I believe I heard, fitted better the call of the W-tN and the scrubby bushy riverine habitat fitted it better also. As you know, at the time, I argued and still do that there was no need to invoke the possibility of the Spotted Nightjar any more than that it was a penguin. The difference in probability is quantitative (albeit huge) rather than qualitative.

Sorry I'm not actually totally clear from Terry's message whether he is suggesting he encountered a Spotted Nightjar or a White-throated Nightjar. Of course before we started recording birds here there were nil species on the written record.

I was not aware as to whether or not the RP vote was unanimous or who agreed or not. I can tell though, from your quick response that even so long ago, you still remember it, so that is good.