canberrabirds

Post-bird-blitz adventure

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Post-bird-blitz adventure
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:35:50 +1100
The very day after the bird blitz, I'm riding along beside Parkwood Road, West Belconnen, about 80 metres west of the Parkwood Garden Centre this afternoon, when the pony and I were startled as a Kookaburra flew up from grass 10 metres in front of us carrying a snake in its bill.

In the few seconds I glimpsed the snake I discerned it was very slender and probably less than 50 centimetres long. It appeared to be quite bloodied and battered. So much so that I wondered if the old Movie Tone News icon had scavenged a road kill. The kooka flew away carrying its trophy.

On the return journey, 30 minutes later, near where we encountered the kooka, my mount began shying and side stepping. I dismounted and noticed a large Common Bearded Dragon in defence display on a fence post two metres away. The little mare is normally rock-steady near noisy traffic or when set upon by yapping, canine rabble that lie in wait to harass peaceable pony-people on Parkwood Road.

Anyhow, I led Skeeter, gentling her, for forty metres before she returned to her normal, placid equine self.

John Layton