canberrabirds

Re:black-headed gull

To: <>
Subject: Re:black-headed gull
From: "bump" <>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:42:59 +1000

The light does make the second bird a bit of a puzzler.  Having grown up with Herring Gulls I would say the jizz is all wrong for it.  They generally have a pale mantle and black wing tips-the apparent opposite to this bird.  Also, it looks too bulky-much more like one of the “black backed” gulls-although that said the National Geographic guide lists the Herring and Slaty Backed (it shows up in the Aleutians so makes it into the NA guide) as identical in dimensions.  The NG guide also shows a 3rd summer Slaty Backed with pale primaries suggesting that may well be what is present in the photo-an adult, but in it’s second or third year rather than its fully developed plumage.

Cheers,

Peter Miller