canberrabirds

shared hollows?

To: <>
Subject: shared hollows?
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 09:15:27 +1000

Ahh  -  got one!  I thought Michael Lenz’s message on Tuesday expressed a curious thought when he wrote:

“I certainly appreciate the wealth of information in the HANZAB (Handbook of Australian, New Zealand and Antarctic Birds), and made an effort to buy all volumes. For others, HANZAB is far too detailed and contains far more than they ever want to learn about our birds, so they may not consult (and certainly not buy) this work. Likewise, for the ACT, not everyone wants to read the more involved prose of some works and prefers easier reading material that gives the general trend rather than the finer detail.”

I was going to reply, but didn’t, that many questions asked on this chatline can only be answered if at all by reference to HANZAB or the BA Atlas or other books that people don’t have (but might want to, if they know about them).  There’s more info in HANZAB than people want to know all right   -  until they want to know it.  I thought I’d wait for the first example.

I take it this is a case of the same hollow entrance.  HANZAB says in its entries for both the E Rosella and RRP that they have been recorded nesting in the same tree, and in the case of the RRP 3m from a conspecific.  This is info from the BA ‘Nest Record Scheme’.  I would infer that if there was any published record of different parrot species even using the same entrance (as distinct from inspecting the same hollow, which is a common sight around Canberra), it would be mentioned.

Incidentally, HANZAB includes, where relevant, behaviour information published in Canberra Bird Notes – perhaps in an ‘Odd Ob’.  Submitting a note to CBN on unusual behaviour is a way of getting the record into the cumulative literature and helping future observers answer the questions ‘Is this usual?’, ‘Has this been observed before?’.  In fact that is the only way such questions will be able to be answered.