canberrabirds

RE:Sap suckers.

Subject: RE:Sap suckers.
From: "terry gourlay" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 05:47:49 +0000
Hello All,
Yes I have seen some interesting examples...One that stood out was a relatively young Stringy Bark,behind my home,quite healthy,From the back yard I noted that firstly Red Wattlebirds were hanging on the side of the tree and eating the sap,the tree Bled quite profusely and the next thing it was covered in tiny Red and Black Shield Beetles insect that I see elsewhere from time to time...Next development was our tree died...Hmm..Next I discussed with one of our resident Gurus Geoffrey Dabbs what I thought was undoubted ring barking of Yellow Boxes on Majura by I thought Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoos...he was of the opinion that I was seeing a Rooster sitting beside an egg and running away with the wrong conclusion,he considered that it was indeed sugar gliders and offered some interesting advice that encouraged me to taste the saps on affected trees not overly sweet to my sugar jaded palate,but just as it was attractive to the aboriginals it was possibly adequately enticing to possums or whoever....Now I have been up the Back of my house and checked out the sap on Casuarinas Yuk the taste is quite astringent...disconnected incidents I offer no conclusions...Terry Gourlay.