canberrabirds

Rufous Fantail (again) & Brown Quail

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Rufous Fantail (again) & Brown Quail
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:47:43 +1000
Regarding my report of a Rufous Fantail at Holt on Sunday, Philip remarked it was extremely unusual to see one pass through hereabouts as early as August. Lo and behold, I saw another at 10:30am today flitting around the gardens of University House, Balmain Crescent, ANU campus.

Re Julian's comments about Brown Quail at the Fyshwick sewage ponds: The Lake Ginninderra Brown Quail population seems to fluctuate a good bit but, particularly at times when they're appearing fairly regularly, they feed in the open within a few metres of the cycle path seemingly oblivious to bikes and pedestrians. I've walked slowly toward them and got to about 15 metres before they've ambled into cover. The faster you approach, the faster they amble.

A few springtimes ago at Lake Ginn, I was standing in a bosky area watching storm curtains enshroud the Brindabella Range accompanied by rolls of muted thunder, when four or five quail wandered towards me like Brown's cows rather than Brown Quail. They seemed to be disoriented, ambling along ziggiddy-zaggiddy. They almost walked over my boots as I stood stock still, before disappearing into long grass.

A bit later I read a book by a venerable English game keeper which told how, during the spring of 1916 in south-east England, game birds began acting "something queer" insomuch as they abandoned their nests and wandered about "willy-nilly". In the writer's opinion they were disquieted by distant thunder although no storms approached and skies remained clear. The game keeper learnt that the thunder was, in fact, the sound of artillery barrages emanating from the battlefields of France just a short distance away (by an Australian's reckoning of distance) across the English Channel.

So, I wonder if that has any connection with the way the Lake Ginn quail seemingly reacted to the approach of a barber's-cat storm issuing forth from the Brindabella Range. Oh, if you need to know what a barber's-cat storm is, please inquire off-group because some junior members may be reading and I wouldn't want to thwart the children's morals.
John Layton.