canberrabirds

LB Corellas, Oriole, mimicry

To: <>
Subject: LB Corellas, Oriole, mimicry
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:49:02 +1000

I have yet to see the paired LBCs at Callum Brae but this morning, inspecting hollows, was a mixed pair.  This pair is quite distinctive, being the pair I reported some weeks ago feeding on a nature strip in Griffith.  The LBC has a shiny metal ring of thin cylindrical metal, and the Little is an obviously young bird.  It might be useful in tracking what is going on, miscegenation-wise, if observers note any rings on LBCs.

Also at Callum Brae this am 2 orioles were calling to one another.  One of them mimicked, intermittently, the conversational chatter of a Crimson Rosella, a pair of which were feeding in the same tree.  Consulting my HANZAB just now, I find that the oriole is said to be ‘a mimic with few equals’ and the Crimson Rosella is indeed on a very long list of recorded mimicked species.  Something of a trap for anyone surveying or censusing by voice, I would have thought.