canberrabirds

Myall Lakes National Park

To: <>
Subject: Myall Lakes National Park
From: "Rod's Gardening" <>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 21:51:25 +1000
I have just returned from this delightful part of the world after a week
camped on the shores of the Bombah Broadwater.  As the tourist brochures
say, it is a great area for birdwatching as I managed to rack up almost 82
species without too much effort.  Some a little "ho hum", but a couple of
firsts and a few I thought notable.

Radjah Shelducks.  A pair sitting quietly in a Paperbark near the launching
ramp at Bombah Point.  The next day they actually wandered into our camp 600
metres further along the bank.  I took some photos with my wife's phone
camera but am still trying to fathom how to get them out!

Musk Duck.  An incredible splashing display clearly visible from several
hundred metres.  I was able to sneak up quietly in my kayak to establish the
source of the display.  From a distance I had initially thought it must be
fish jumping.

Tawney Grassbird
Grey Goshawk
Brush Turkeys.
Sthn. Emu wren
Variegated fairy wren
Sea Eagles harassing Black Swans with Cygnets, Peregrine Falcon harassing
flock of Galahs

Racing pigeons.  2000 plus from the South Coast Pigeon Racing Assn. (if I
recall the organization correctly) released at Tea Gardens.  Spectacular
sight as they spiralled high in two shimmering flocks and (presumably)
headed for home.

Hornets - of the FA18 variety - another spectacular display as they carried
out low level manoeuvres amongst the hills.  Noise didn't seem to bother the
hundreds of water birds.

Scored a miss on the Regent Bowerbirds of Mungo Brush Rainforest walk, but
another walker there at the same time as us saw them!

Non-birding highlight just had to be yet another spectacular display - two
Humpback whales tail slapping then fully breaching for at least 10 minutes,
seen from the Sugarloaf Point lighthouse at Seal Rocks.

Arrived back home to the gentle cooing of the Spotted Turtle Dove and the
noise of about 50 Mynahs which have again taken to roosting in our Phoenix
palm tree.

Rod Mackay
Rod's Garden Maintenance & Mowing

Tel:   0407 456 330