canberrabirds

At Charcoal Tank

To: <>
Subject: At Charcoal Tank
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 19:49:35 +1000

Many Cogites, seriously practising and otherwise, have visited Mark Clayton’s banding site at Charcoal over the years and these, or some of them, were remembered at the gathering Mark convened over the weekend on the 20th anniversary of the site.  Altogether there were 25 or so at the party.  Apart from an appropriately hearty bushperson’s cake, Mark was presented with a tasteful commemorative bird plate by Anthony Overs, and was so overcome he dropped the chops in the campfire about 4 times.  Quite a few birds were banded, mainly honeyeaters.  I don’t know how many, because I left about 10-ish, not long after Martyn and Pat who were heading north (“we’re about a third of the way there”) to see a certain trendy bird starting and ending with a ‘G’ (and not a Gang-gang, no prizes for guessing).  On the way back I checked out the woodland near Ariah Park, where there was a surprising number of Blue-bonnets.  At Ariah Park itself, by the football field (Australian Rules  -  home of the Ariah Park-Mirrool Bombers) I was rewarded by the sight of, as we have taught ourselves to say when reporting such matters, 7 Major Mitchells feeding in a Pink Ironbark.  This is only about 200k from Canberra, and while others might have nearer records it is the closest I have seen them, naturally occurring.  This side of Temora I collected a road-killed Barn Owl, perfectly preserved by the icy conditions.