canberrabirds

Quiz 4

To: <>
Subject: Quiz 4
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 16:09:27 +1000

Clues, guidelines etc

  1. One point for each species identified, except for 8, 9, 15, 17, 22, 25, 26 & 30 where there is one point for getting the noun in the common name and one for getting the full name.
  2. All figures are from photos and are not necessarily to scale; bills and/or tails might appear fore-shortened due to angle of view.
  3. None of the species was in the last quiz.
  4. All except one have been recorded around Canberra.
  5. One (and only one) species appears under 2 numbers ie it’s here twice..
  6. Two are VERY VERY uncommon in the ACT, and another is VERY uncommon; 2 others might not be recorded in a given year.
  7. The names of 5 species contain all the vowels in the alphabet.
  8. Three names contain a common adjective; another 2 contain another common adjective.
  9. Five names contain ‘White-’, but there is no ‘White-fronted’.
  10. One name contains a name of a country other than Australia.
  11. One is a national pastime.
  12. One shares a first name, more or less, with Vivien Leigh’s character in Gone with the Wind
  13. None has a first name that rhymes with ‘footy’
  14. Be careful with the ducks.
  15. 22 points -  good;  27 points - superior; 32 points – Ace Spotter;  37 points – positively uncanny  [40 points max]
  16. Queensland entries subject to a 10% penalty.

Send your conclusions to me if you want to, not to the list.

May I present a recent testimonial received via email?   “Earlier this year I was introduced to bird-watching and was beginning to derive great pleasure from learning to recognize the different birds in my suburb.  However, since attempting one of your quizzes I have become confused and depressed, and have given up the activity altogether.”