canberrabirds

Answers: the ambiguity of the flying shape

To: <>
Subject: Answers: the ambiguity of the flying shape
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 13:38:47 +1000

These were the questions:

These are the answers:

1         Buff-rumped Thornbill

2         Common Starling

3         Royal Spoonbill (Yellow-billed will do)

4         Caspian Tern

5         White-necked Heron (any heron or egret for a half-point)

6         Whistling Kite (long tail, although fanned)

7         Pink-eared Duck

8         Masked Lapwing

9         Little Egret

10     Skylark

11     Black-shouldered Kite

12     Double-barred Finch

13     Straw-necked/White Ibis – extra half-point for SNI because faint white tracing was shown around white underparts.

All got at least 7.5.  The 3 top scores (which would have bettered my own efforts) were Richard Allen 11, Steve Holliday 10.5, Anthony Overs 9.5.  I think those scores show remarkable expertise.  Only Richard got No 11 and only Shaun Bagley No 6.  No-one got No 5 as any kind of heron.  The 4 most troublesome, together with their originals, are below.